In the spring and summer of 2017, I had the privilege of working for the Wassmuth Center for Human Rights in Boise, Idaho. I created two videos for their interactive outdoor classroom called Spiral of Injustice and Be an Upstander. These two videos are the bookends to 13 videos that were created for them by a local production company about the injustice that different groups in Idaho have faced throughout Idaho’s history. This video project meant a lot to me as I belong to several of the groups that have faced discrimination not just in our state, but in many of the places that I’ve lived. I didn’t think that I could feel so connected to a project that I volunteered for, then came Pedals and Packs. In the spring of 2018, I joined forces with the Wassmuth Center, this time in Cambodia, as a volunteer filmmaker for their Pedals and Packs program. There, a group of 16 people from Boise delivered 200 bicycles and backpacks to school children, so that they could continue their education past elementary school. This experience changed my life and made me understand the importance of education and human rights, and the role I play in sharing these stories.
The Art of Filmmaking
I love sharing my passion and knowledge with young minds. I've presented on various aspects of filmmaking to different classes of all ages. From young elementary age children, to high schoolers, I've taught anything from a broad overview, to more detailed "rules" of filmmaking. If you're wanting to expand the minds of your students, I would be happy to drop in and share some tips of the trade. These sessions have come in handy for career talks, school projects, and elective classes. Contact me for a list of references, and if you'd like to inspire your students.
Along with creating videos, I’ve also mentored over ten students at Full Sail University while in attendance there, and am currently mentoring a few local Boise filmmakers. Volunteering as a mentor has enabled me to grow not just as a filmmaker, but as a person. It has furthered my love of sharing knowledge and connecting with people who are on the same path as me. If you're looking for a mentor, contact me and we'll see if I'm the right fit for your needs.
- "SheTech Boise Intro video" (mini-doc) - Cinematographer, Editor - Created for SheTech Boise 2018 - May 2018
- "Pedals and Packs" (mini-doc) - Writer, Director, Cinematographer, Editor - Created for the Wassmuth Center for Human Rights, Pedals and Packs program - March 2018 - May 2018
- "Children of Minidoka, Americans Imprisoned" (mini-doc) - Editor - Created for National Park Service - November 2017
- "Be an Upstander" (short film) - Cinematographer, Editor - Created for the Wassmuth Center for Human Rights - September 2017
- "Spiral of Injustice" (short film) - Cinematographer, Editor - Created for the Wassmuth Center for Human Rights - September 2017
- "All Paws Stay-n-Play" (mini-doc/advertisement) - Writer, Director, Cinematographer, Editor - Created for All Paws Stay-n-Play - October 2016
Copyright Stephanie Michelle Lokelani Cullen 2018. All rights reserved.